Shure AuxPander

Title: Shure AuxPander
At 5:26 PM -0800 3/18/05, Richard Zvonar wrote:

It has always frustrated me that smaller mixers automatically have fewer Aux sends. I'd love to have a 1202-size mixer with 4 Auxes

I've found a partial solution to this problem in the Shure AuxPander ($398 list).

http://www.shure.com/mixers/models/auxpander.asp

This is "an insertable, 8 x 8 analog mixing matrix designed to expand the auxiliary output capabilities of any standard mixing console."  When Shure says "insertable" they mean this both in a general and a literal sense. The AuxPander can be patched directly to the insert jacks of a console using an 8-channel TRS snake, or you can figure out creative alternatives if your mixer lacks insert jacks. The AuxPander also has its own set of Inserts (where you can patch your effects units) as well as separate bus Outputs.

You can treat the AuxPander as eight mono auxiliary sends or as four stereo auxiliaries. The unit is "expandable both horizontally (16x8) and/or vertically (8x16)."

When I described the AuxPander as a "partial solution" my reservations were based on 1) the size of the unit (175mm H x 330mm W x 218mm D, or 6-7/8 x 13 x 8-9/16 inches, or 4U high) and 2) that patching into the mixer's inserts means that these extra auxiliaries will all be Pre-fader.

For those who "play" their mixers and effects and prefer to control the signal path manually it's still worth consideration. For instance, a small mixer such as a Mackie 1202 could be set up with four source inputs (either mic or line in) and eight effects inputs (four stereo effects, perhaps). Those first four channels might be a guitar, and EDP, and two channels of Repeater, for instance.  And don't forget that the AuxPander adds eight auxiliaries onto what you already have, so the Mackie 1202 still has its Pre-fader and Post-fader Auxes available.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com