LINE 6 DL-4

For what it is worth:   despite the limitations of the Line 6 DL-4,  I
love
this unit intensely and have been using it
for my first loop capabilities ever since it was released.     I also use
the amazing EDP and Repeater (the high budget
loopers)  but I've done many quickie shows that didn't allow long setup
times with just two DL-4s.

I have found that if you put the loop into constant overdub mode that the
time it takes for the inistial loop to fade out is so long
that I can't use that feature as a way of fading out a piece in real time.

So, even though there is some loss of the original loops it can easily be
overcompensated by making your first loops signals
be hotter than subsequent loops.

Also, I have found that musically, one typically doesn't want to use a
whole
hell of a lot of static loops in a piece............it makes the
piece...................well..................static to do so.

Typically, and I play multiple instruments, in my live shows I rarely use
more than three or four static loops.

The Line 6 can easily handle this amount without having it's loop
degeneration be a liability musically speaking.

Also,  I find that when using a looper to make rhythmic ostinato loops
(which we play over) that it actually seems to work for me
to use shorter loops (one or two bar at the most), in which case at most
normal tempi, the Line 6s 14 second looping time
is not a defect.

If you want really long ambient loops where the audience doesn't hear
where
the loop occurs,  you might consider the Boss Loop Station.
I have found that if your loops are very much longer than 15 or 20 seconds
that audiences frequently don't percieve them as loops.
That, of course, can be musical, but I personally love minimalistic
repitition which is why I'm so fascinated by live looping.

Another advantage is that the Line 6 DL4 really sounds pretty damn good
fidelity wise (better than EDP, imho and on par with the Repeater)
so that makes it the cheapest high quality looper that has multiple
features
on the market.

Now,  if I could only get an endorsement with those
suckers..........................I've worn out both of my

Rick Walker