Re: Too many beeps & boops

>I'm just amazed that a lot of ohhhhs and ahhhhhs are paid to some folks music that frequently is essentially >self-indulgent noodling with long delays, galaxy-sized reverb patches and ebows.

Hey, I resemble that remark.  You say that like it's a bad thing!  I posted a song a while ago and it's pretty 'bleepy/bloopy/meandering/improv' and it got a lot of different reactions from 'the collective' here - some liked it, some thought it was too much, one decided to start a flame war about it.

It's not as easy as it seems to make good listenable music that consists of beeps and boops with long delays and galaxy-sized reverbs.  No less difficult than making it with a rock trio, or a jazz group, or an orchestra, or a singer with a guitar.  It's all just sound waves anyway.  Why do we care how they were made? Do ya like it?  Did it make you react?  Isn't that the point?

>But for music with incredibly creative instrumental licks (like mine), I frequently hear a yawn from the >collective. Is it me?

Not necessarily, like anything, everybody likes something different.  For instance, I have a friend who LOVES Marillion, and for the life of me I CAN NOT get into that band.  Not that they are bad, they just do nothing for me.  Big yawn.  I appreciate the talent, and their stuff is good, creative music, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I've heard some pretty self-indulgent noodley music that was full of creative licks. Didn't make it any less self-indulgent!  Then again, isn't all music pretty self-indulgent? Hmm...

It depends on the collective.  From my perspective, I think there are a lot of performers/readers on LD who are into non-melodic, soundscapey, sound-experimentation types of things.  I know there are loopers who do extremely creative licks in their loops.  But we've got some pretty avant-garde people here. :)

I like it all.  Post a link to your "incredibly creative instrumental licks".  I'll show you mine, you show us yours. ;)

it's late, I'm rambling...

Tony

"You can strap a Stratocaster onto a chimpanzee and turn the volume up
to twelve and for a few seconds it's going to sound brilliant, you
know."
-Nick Saloman
Well, 'site' referring to some of the MP3's or links pointing to MP3's, et al from some of the posters to LD.