Re: OT: The changing face of "rock" radio.

On Apr 29, 2005, at 22:11, ArsOcarina@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Food for thoughtful discussion. While it is not exactly an early
> obituary
> of the format, the following article from the NY Times is an
> interesting
> peek inside the changing face BIG RADIO. Not all of it good. Some
> of it
> is downright creepy . . .
> 8< 8< 8< 8<....

Thanks for posting that article. Very interesting indeed! I can't
help to feel a little refreshed by this new art/entertainment biz/
scene. One thing that happens is that the amount of musical styles is
increasing so much that very few genres (if any at all) still can
provide the volume required for corporate business speculation. Fully
outspoken as "Record labels get bigger and die harder". The same
problem applies to radio stations: it's not possible for a producer
to know all styles and sub cultures well enough to make a good
program. And one genre is too small to base a radio show on. So
there's no way out!!!! It's a shift of paradigms in the media
culture. When this happens in economy (like for example a new
infrastructure is it hand) the interesting spot is to look for the
new players on the market. Historically it has never happened that
any of the old players have succeeded in reinventing their own
business strategies to fit the new world. The future is always with
the newcomers, when paradigms change.

per