Re: Mathematics, Prime Numbers, & Looping with the EDP

At 4:28 PM -0500 6/21/05, Jon Southwood wrote:

>Incidentally, I just remembered that early experiments with prime
>numbers and voices moving at different speeds were done using Tim
>Thompson's KeyKit

My earliest looping patterns were done on the Buchla 100 Series
modular system at UCSD in 1977. This was one of the early generation
instruments, brought down from MIlls by Pauline Oliveros. There were
four sequencers (two 16-step and two 8-step), each with its own pulse
generator. It was possible to run any combination of these either
asynchronously or triggered by the same clock. Therefore there could
be prime-number beat-locked combinations of primes such as 2, 3, 5, 7
or 3, 5, 7, 11 or 5, 7, 11, 13 or some combination of those phrase
lengths. If you were clever, you could get even longer phrase lengths.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://salamandersongs.com