TC Electronics: Old vs New.

I've been looking around at different delay units, new and old.. and
am trying to find a good unit that is rackmount and is going to give
me the delay I need for Soundscapes.

I've found a few that are interesting, but for rackmount, I really
prefer TC Electronics, so, that means that it's come down to the D-Two
and the 2290.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For instance, the 2290
is rare and often expensive to buy. The D-two is a mere 500 bucks.. I
can easily get 4 of them or so pretty fast. But sound quality is my
main focus.. am I going to be better off music wise getting the new
unit, or the 2290. Please fill me in on the specs.