RE: Velcro Inventor

In the Boston Museum of Science just yesterday I saw a
small exhibit depicting a burr stuck to a patch of
bear fur sitting next to some velcro*, with electron
microscopic photos comparing their respective
structures and a short blurb about Claude's neighbor
M. de Mestral.

Then, on the way home from the museum, I was annoying
my girlfriend by making rrrrripping noises with the
velcro pocket fasteners on my cargo shorts. I confess,
albeit unrepentently... (It was revenge for her making
me carry all the keys and tickets, just because I was
the one "with all those pockets".)

I take another approach with my pedalboards: I cover
the entire board with polypropylene automotive carpet
(held down with spray adhesive and heavy-duty staples)
and attach the *hook* part of the 2" velcro to my
pedals. That way I can move them around to any point
on the board without having to stay on the little
patches. As far as cat hair and other detritus, I
occasionally take all the pedals out and vacuum the
boards; the carpet doesn't hold debris any more than a
regular rug would, and the velcro sticks to it
tenaciously. And, yes, the velcro grips better than
the adhesive.

I can also position velcro-ed stuff on top of my
carpeted road cases without having to worry about
fragile, expensive gear crashing to the stage. [Sorry,
Zoe, I didn't mean to trigger any flashbacks or
anything... ;^O ]

-t-

* Oh, by the way, according to Velcro's US Corporate
HQ (which is about 4 miles from me) we are all guilty
of misusing the word 'velcro'... Read this:
<http://www.velcro.com/ABOUT/know.html>

--- mark sottilaro <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I saw that on tv.

Well, then it MUST be true. ;)