Re: AW: Behringer FCB 1010 or Digital Music Ground Control?

It certainly seems like you've done your research so you can narrow down
your decision to this question.

I find the fcb1010 to be all I've needed for about 4 years.  I have to
recalibrate the cc pedals now and then, but it's never broken on me once or
gone down on me in anyway.  The midi and power connections are still firm
and in place after years of connecting and reconnecting.   As far as
programming goes, once I figured out how to do it, I do it with ease WITH
my
feet, no need to bend down, but I hardly ever need to program it anyway as
use so many midi learn functions on the computer with live and other
programs.  I simply have my oberheim banks and three banks of continuous
controllers for live and Native Instruments stuff.  70 - 79, 80-89, and so
on.

I've never used the ground control, but I do know that Line-6 boxes were
too
noisy for me with those particular switches, and I don't want extra noise
on
the gig.  I do find that I like the immediateness of the switching on the
Behringer.  My suggestion to you would be to order from zzounds, order
both,
try them out for 2 or 3 days intensively with socks on, and then send one
back.

My two cents, hope it contributes something to your effort.

Todd Reynolds

On 8/9/05 1:51 AM, "David Trenkel" <improv@peak.org> wrote:

> I'm looking into a foot controller for hands-free operation my
> laptop/Ableton Live setup. I actually have an FCB 1010 on order from
> Audiomidi.com, but it's been backordered for several weeks, and I'm
> having 2nd thoughts. I have been pretty staunchly anti-behringer for
> years, I've justified this purchase by saying to myself that at least
> I'm not passing audio through it. But I am worried about sturdiness, I
> play about 100 gigs a year and need stuff that is reliable and doesn't
> break. The good side of the Behringer is that it's almost unbelievably
> cheap, and seems to be very flexible as far as MIDI programmability.
>
> The Ground control looks very solid, and I like the size of it better.
> I am redesigning my pedalboard to accommodate the foot controller, and
> it seems easier to design around. It doesn't have built in MIDI CC
> pedlas, but accepts input from 2 passive volume pedals, which I have,
> to use as CC's. I'm concerned about the responsiveness of the switches,
> it has stompbox-style switches like the Line-6 DL4, which, wile very
> sturdy, take more effort to trigger in time. Since one of the uses of
> the pedal will be to trigger clips in live, I need to have pretty exact
> timing. I haven't actually used either unit. The GC is also about $250
> more than the FCB, which is an issue right now, but if it will be more
> reliable, it's worth it to me.
>
> So, any opinions from owners of either or both? I've downloaded and
> pored over the owner's manuals for both, and subbed to the FCB user's
> group on Yahoo. It seems like the FCB has a large and pretty active
> user base, which is a plus.

-----
³Virtue is just repression waiting to go bad² - Trevor Exter

³Classical music is related to the past more than it is related to the
creative part of sound² - Ornette Coleman
------
Todd Reynolds
42-09 47th Ave 1C
Sunnyside, NY  11104