Re: looping & triggering (Sooperlooper & Musolomo)

On Aug 14, 2005, at 1:12, obadia wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm testing a set-up with both Sooperlooper and
> Musolomo. It seems to work so far.
> I use SooperLooper for looping and layering and
> Musolomo to sample the fresh loops on the fly and bind
> them straight away to a midikeyboard. It would give me
> the possibility to break previous material, and get
> many loops, fragments of loops or just isolated notes
> to trigger. I can imagine a performance evolving from
> building a layer syntax to deconstructing/rebuilding
> by triggering, tweaking and combinating.
> I use Live and Jack OSX to connect everything.
> Just curious if anyone has tried something similar?

Yes. SooperLooper is very good, but it did not work for me because of
the lacking latency compensation. I want to play instruments with an
exact musical timing, as the source material for looping. A couple of
milliseconds getting lost here and there just ruins the feel. For
more ambient musical styles SooperLooper is great though and also if
you are not using analog live audio input, i.e. working with software
instruments and plug-ins only.

Musolomo was very fun too, but I found it hard to use with my hands
occupied by playing instruments. I tried to use an FCB1010 foot
controller as well as triggering MIDI clips in Live to send the
controller data to Musolomo. Got it partly working the way I wanted
but gave up because it quickly became too un-intuitive for
improvising. It seems to be more designed with the recording/remixing
musician in mind. It felt more like a tool than like an instrument to
me.

I tend to like the Augustus Loop better because it lets you "play"
the pitch of the loop by midi notes (even when overdubbing live audio
input), thus implying chord changes - a part of the musical language
that many loopers sacrifice. Not much cutting and slicing
possibilities (yet...) (the way you can chop up stuff into 128th
notes on an EDP is unbeatable!)

A very nice looper in Ableton Live is the built in Ping-Pong delay.
In Live 5 the Ping-Pong delay has recieved a little "F" symbol for
"Freeze". Some interesting audio degeneration happens if you freeze a
loop and then change the loop length. The ping-pong delay also has a
built in equalizer, which means that you can set up MIDI clips that
perform all kinds of rhythmic EQ stuttering to the loops. Such EQ
patterns can be of a different length that the audio loop and you can
apply all kind of random scripting to have playback automatically
jump between different EQ pattern sequences (ie MIDI clips routed to
the ping-pong delay's EQ as the target). You can also route the audio
from the ping-pong delay to an audio track and record it as an audio
clip for serious surgery. But that's beyond my horizon since it
demands the hands-on-mouse-watching-the-screen concept.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)