ot: moog's improv quote / why we loop / santa cruz y2k5 fest-recording?

(1) matthias-um, i'm not sure if you wanted me to answer that, since i posted the quote,  but i can attempt to make a "wrong answer"....

if i remember, in the movie he was talking w/ one of his early business partners, and they were playing around at some keyboards, laughing, etc.

to me, improv w/in a musical setting is the process of exploring to see what comes out/ just trying to let the ideas come out freely... some may call it noodling, some may call it practice...i always think of it as a freeform in some way though, not so much a rigid, preconceived...i would guess that my ideas in this sense are formed from what i've heard of live recordings of hendrix, the couple of bootleg david torn discs i have, and the couple of recordings of r. fripp and henry kaiser i have...the hendrix reference might not be the best since he is performing w/in the confines of "pop music of time" and they tend to be his blues leaning songs (red house, hear my train a comin, etc)...

some may argue that "recording improv pieces" are no longer "improv" and there is the possiblity that there are only a few good nuggets within a long time span of improv, but that is the nature of exploring....

>there was a great quote from moog (paraphrase): improvisation is
>just a series of wrong notes.
>Matthias wrote: ok, when Moog sais it... but what did you understand he meant?

(2) why we loop-i think i've fallen under the spell of looping since '00 b/c of the endless

possibilities that it offers, and i don't play out or perform, but i enjoy recording ideas

for my own growth, and i have recorded 2 short 30min programs for our local public access

tv -both of which are now over a yr old. i've watched the shows a couple of times just to

see what i was doing a yr ago, and its a fun snapshot to see where i was, and to see me struggling to make something....and originally i wasn't going to release it, i was going to do a test to see if it was any good, and then after watching, figured the test was ok.

a funny aside to this- a friend of mine saw one of my shows a few months back and i saw him

at a gathering and we were talking about it.

he understands what i do (the guitar looping etc). his comment to me was: "that i needed to

talk and explain more what i was doing w/ hitting all the buttons and playing with the samplers etc, b/c he was interested in what i was doing."(again a paraphrase). so i thought that was interesting that a layman, understood what i was doing, but i think he wanted me to present more of a "how to-" program rather than my 30 min of "improv".

(3) in regards to the upcoming santa cruz loop fest-since i can't be there--

i was wondering if anyone who planned on attending were going to videotape  any of the

performances? i would love to be able to see some live footage (video or dvd) from the wide range of folks who will be performing, since i can't be there.....just curious....

s----

Yahoo! for Good