Re: OASYS. was: touch-scren interface

     Just went to an OASYS demonstraton at Guitar Center tonight (they'll
be in Portland, OR
tomorrow evening).  One thing the keyboard is not, is expensive.  At only
$8,500 USD, it is
admittedly one of the pricier synths on the market today, though in
yesteryears prices, it's damn
cheap.  Perhpas we're all just spoiled that prices on gear seem to either
stay the same or drop as
technology gets smaller and more sophisticated.  Only the high end gear
seems to go up in price
over the years.

     The OASYS really has the touch screen down much better than the
previous Triton series, or
the Fantom series as well.  Without checking the manual or asking the
(admittedly clueless)
employees for help, I was able to rather easily navigate around on the
very well laid out screens
and tabs.  It's pointing in a direction that we've needed to embrace for a
long time... ever since
someone developed the small LCD screen with multiple pages hiding multiple
parameters.  Even if
you have no interest in keyboards or (relatively) high prices, you all owe
it to yourselves to
check out the OASYS touch screen.  It is hopefully the wave of the future.

     I did have some critically negative observations of the keyboard just
to let you all know
that I'm not gushing all over it.  I do feel that it's well worth the
price though.  Think I'll
give it a year or three to settle down before I seriously consider it.
It's a hell of a gauntlet
to throw down... take that Kurzweil, Yamaha, and Roland!

        Stephen

> Haven't a bunch of hardware synthesizers had touch screens for a while
>now?

One of the latest examples is the Korg Oasys:
http://www.digitalplayroom.com/Korg/oasys_pic.htm .

They didn't make the mistake of trying to replace lots of sliders with
only a single-finger touch
surface, and they've made excellent use of the touch interface and
resolution of the display to
make a very accessible (and pricey) instrument.

http://farechase.yahoo.com