RE: For Mellotron afficionados...

Title: RE: For Mellotron afficionados...

>>Hey Duncan (et al), check this out:

<http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html>

this chap & his fabulous box turned up on the mellotron list just about the time I was finally unsubscribing after eight years or so of transatlantic name-calling by the various factions.

I love it- it keeps alive the original spirit, sort of.
I'd actually visited his site before, long before this thing was built, while looking for resources for.. er... a moog source. he'd gone to the trouble of replacing the membrane switchgear on a friend's source, with proper push-buttons. yikes.

luckily, some other enterprising soul has started a limited production of a clone of the original panel & so I have one of those on standby in case either of my sources starts acting up. ("chip-for-brains").

my own mellotron is fully supported by streetly electronics in the UK, who are still making tapes on the original EMI tape stock for the things. they also refurbish & align the machines. there are other folks performing this work too, I should add in the interests of avoiding an international diplomatic crisis of the sort that so frequently damages the tranquility of the mellotron's own mailing list.

before streetly were up & running, I was in a state of mild panic over my m400. the original tapes still worked, but were somewhat mildewed & frequently refused to rewind. pictures of the machine at this time show the front panel removed so that the tapes could be tugged back to their starts manually. I also wondered where the heck I was going to get other sounds for it, since the tapes in a standard m400 are 3/8" wide... I even made enquiries of the BBC, who'd used the machines for sound-effects/foley in radio studios.... one of the first things I bought from streetly was a set of 1/4" combs to fit in the machine so that 1/4" tape could be guided reliably past the 35 heads. the first tapeset I made myself was of e-bowed guitar & prophet 2000 string samples. great fun.

this weekend, btw, I shall be adding a line 6 echo-pro to the rack that holds my repeater, powertran mcs-1 & bel bd80.

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe