The PiNG presents dreamSTATE with Lynn Harrigan, Shirzad Sharif + General Chaos Visuals

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Tuesdays @ HACiENDA - 794 Bathurst Street at Bloor
(directly across from the Bathurst subway station) - Toronto
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan

This Tuesday November 8th - dreamSTATE
    with Lynn Harrigan, Shirzad Sharif and General Chaos Visuals

Electronic artists dreamSTATE will be performing their last show at
the PiNG until next Spring or Summer & are going all out for this one,
with two contrasting sets.  http://www.dreamSTATE.to

In the first set, Lynn Harrigan will joining them to read an arc of
poems from her new book "Moon Sea Crossing" (Black Moss Press) while
Scott M2 & Jamie Todd weave an underscore of electronic soundscapes
from their "PASSAGE" CD (inspired by Lynn's book).
http://www.lynnharrigan.com   http://cdbaby.com/cd/dreamstate2

In the second set, they tip their hat to the memory/legacy of the
great synth inventor/pioneer Dr. Robert Moog who recently passed away.
Scott will bringing out his Moog Modular synthesizer system and
Jamie will be playing several instances of the Arturia Moog V virtual
modular synth on his laptop computers. They'll be exploring chillout
grooves and driving "Berlin School" sequencing, merging their current
states of mind with the influence of German Moog synthesizer pioneers
Tangerine Dream & Kraftwerk. dreamSTATE will be joined by Shirzad Sharif
(visiting from San Francisco) playing Persian percussion instruments
the Tonbak (Zarb) and the Daf (Kurdish frame drum) plus the Tanbur
stringed instrument. This will be a one-off musical meeting of minds.
http://www.sommamusic.com   http://www.shirzadsharif.com

dreamSTATE's favourite ambient visualists General Chaos will set the
stage awash in swirling light with their hypnotic visual environments.
http://www.generalchaosvisuals.com

Between Sets CD - PiNG AMBiENCE 3 / STRiNG THiNGS by Various Artists
Tonight we feature the latest in the PiNG's series of complilation CDs.
PA3 is packed with guitar-based ambience by 13 different artists.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Coming Tuesday November 15th - Söftware with Toastybird Visuals
http://www.techno-jazz.com
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Trillium" by Jonathan Hughes

Washing over you with sweeping pads of sound, pulsing, orbiting,
"Trillium" is a beautiful collection of pieces by Jonathan Hughes
filled with organic sensibility. Constantly flowing in new directions
and pathways, the songs on "Trillium" move and grow in such a
way as to suggest to me a living entity brought to life through
alchemy rather than biology. Use of tones in a percussive manner,
lush sounds that evolve and reshape themselves, the sense of
"breathing" pulses, they all give form to a new entity, a new lifeform.

Tracing through the womb-like sounds of disc-opener "Imatra", to
the self-discovery implied in "Alta" and the soft reflections of "Lua",
and ending with the percussive summation of "Ganymede",
"Trillium" is a work that I believe runs parallel to our own life
experiences, our own existence. It's a disc that I think we can
all identify with, and a work that it's listeners will carry inside
for some time to come.  Beautiful and inspired.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG is a social sound/art event presenting
live performances by Toronto's finest ambient, chillout, improv
and experimental music artists plus performers from across
the continent, every Tuesday evening at HACiENDA -
794 Bathurst Street at Bloor. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.

To unsubscribe - reply with 'unsubscribe' in the e-mail body.