re: Synchronizing Real Time Drumming with a Prerecorded Loop was Re:query 'real time live looping'

 >> both sides of the problem..........being the looper or responding
to  a loop that I can't control myself, live.

What about synching my looper to a tap-tempo controller that the drummer
manages?

I have been trying to configure a looping environment for myself and an
electronic percussionist who uses a VST sampler/loop playback virtual
instrument hosted by his recording software.  I have been taking a sync
signal out from the computer with some success, and my Repeater loops
stay in sync with his drum loops.  However I'm looking for a solution
that will allow us to take it outside the studio.

Syncing to the computer doesn't allow for tempo changes on the fly, so I
figured the logical extension would be to remove the computer and
substitute some sort of tap-tempo device.  It seems like I should be
able to let the drummer control the looper tempo (assuming they can play
to the tempo they establish themselves).  Anyone tried this in
practice?  What would be a good tap-tempo device so the drummer could
provide the MIDI sync output?

A secondary consideration - I'd like to avoid using headphones...

Thanks,
Dan Ash
White Plains, NY