The PiNG presents Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

Jamie and I send thanks to everyone who came out for the dreamSTATE
show last week at the PiNG. Those of you who were digging the Moogs
will not want to miss this week's show by Söftware - where soaring,
looping guitar will join with the synths and sequencers. ~ Scott M2

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Tuesdays @ HACiENDA - 794 Bathurst Street at Bloor
(directly across from the Bathurst subway station) - Toronto
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan

This Tuesday November 15th - Söftware with Toastybird Visuals

Join Söftware in an evening of electronic music & exhilarating video
performance. Influenced by European progressive electronic rock, jazz,
folk & classical, Söftware weaves a sonic tapestry in their own style
of improvisation. Sometimes ambient, sometimes not, always spontaneous
and captivating to watch - sequencers scanning, MiniMoogs screaming,
guitar strings vibrating and Toastybird Visuals providing live video
projections. Check out the Söftware website for more information,
pictures & mp3s of past PiNG performances at: http://www.techno-jazz.com

Between Sets CD - "Terraforms" by Sylken
We have an advance copy of the new Sylken CD being launched next week
& will give you a sneak preview between sets this week. It's a beauty.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Coming Tuesday Nov. 22nd - Sylken with URM & Anomalous Disturbances
http://www.anomalousdisturbances.com
http://www.sylken.ca
http://www.urm.ca
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"Degrees of Separation" by The Circular Ruins

In my opinion Anthony Paul Kirby has proven time and time again that
he is an impressive musical talent with a firm understanding of ambient
/electronic ideals. Over the years his work as both The Circular Ruins
and Lammergeyer has delighted and inspired me, leaving both a strong
impression and a tremendous appreciation for his work. And so it should
come as no surprise that I'm delighted by his latest release as
The Circular Ruins "Degrees of Separation". It's a stunning collection
that stands up with the best of Kirby's catalogue, continuing and
developing on the work that he's done in the past.

The long form piece "Epiphenomena" opens the disc, a masterful blend
of drone and melody interspersed with infrequent samples. It's a
fascinating work that unfolds over the course of it's sixteen plus
minutes, where a bed of dark ambience anchors the track while lighter
tones rise up to break the surface. Melodic phrases and occasional
notes run throughout the track providing touchstones and reference
points for the work as a whole, giving suggestions of theme and
ideal, but never giving the plot away so much that you can't
imbue it with your own meaning, your own understanding.

The title track "Degrees of Seperation" follows, a study in
connectivity where form and pattern is created by association.
It's a very dense piece with many levels all blending together
in a loosely woven mix, masterfully assembled in such a way as
to form bonds between it's elements while still allowing for
those same elements to retain a certain distinction between them.

Track three, "Doon Hill", is a fine example of locational ambience,
a piece meant to evoke the memory of a particular magical spot
in Scotland where the barriers between our world and Faerie are
thinner than the norm. While I've never visited Doon Hill myself,
Kirby has done an excellent job in recreating it's charms enough
so that I feel I've been there in some way. Maybe seeing such
a magical environment in my mind's eye makes it even more real
to me than an actual physical visit?  Either way it's a testimony
to Kirby's talent that I can feel so connected to this space.

"Empty Hands" uses oblique motion as a backdrop for a series of
subtle arpeggios and almost jazzy riffs. Beautiful and bright in
it's presentation, "Empty Hands" brings to mind future
possibilities and hope, the chance to go beyond our limitations
to create something new and better.

The fifth track "Departure" moves away from the drone textures
used in earlier tracks, opting instead to use a burbling synth
that plays underneath a series of beautifully sweeping pads.
Sublime & lovely, this one is surely my favourite track on the disc.

"Darkness Between Them" follows in a similar pattern, employing
sweeps and sustained notes to maximum effect. The track seems to
exist as a companion piece to the earlier "Degrees of Separation",
but where that track suggested connectivity this one gives the
impression of isolation between it's elements, a strong feeling
of separate existence. Still beautiful, still inspiring, but
perhaps with a touch more regret in it's charms.

"Subspace-Overdrive" closes the disc, a flight into space and
all of the mystery that entails. Twinkling stars, meteor dust,
nebulae and more, it's the sound of the heavens, the sound of
beyond. A charming excursion outside of our selves and a
wonderful way to close the disc.

Without doubt, "Degrees of Separation" is a stunning collection
that re-enforces my belief that Kirby is one of the most
significant ambient/electronic artists working today. All of
the tracks on this disc give pause for thought, reflection,
and contemplation, all of them send the mind reeling with
possibility and opportunity. An essential work by
an essential talent.

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG is a social sound/art event presenting
live performances by Toronto's finest ambient, chillout, improv
and experimental music artists plus performers from across
the continent, every Tuesday evening at HACiENDA -
794 Bathurst Street at Bloor. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.