Sharing a controller pedal between 2 devices?

Not quite on topic, but since this list has the highest concentration
of smart gear geeks I know, I figured I'd ask before trying (and maybe
frying).

I have a Roland EV-5 continuous controller pedal that I'd like to use
to control 2 devices, a Moogerfooger filter pedal and a Line 6 DL4. It
works with either individually. Can I share it between both with a
headphone splitter Y cable? The only problem I can think of is that one
of the wires is carrying a voltage from the device to the pedal, if the
output voltage is the same from both devices, I can clip one wire so
only one device is sending to the pedal. I almost never use both
devices together, and really only want to control one patch on the DL4.
Am I being completely stupid here?