RE: Naming a software looper

Hi Jeff,

I think I accidentally sent a content-less reply to this earlier. Sorry to
the list. It's like an email blizzard for me this morning (lots of fun -
thanks to all).

Thank you very much, Jeff, for your very thoughtful reply. I just have a
couple of comments, inline below.

Best wishes,
Warren Sirota

Yes, this just happens automatically: as each overdub track fills,
additional audio records into the next until you hit the Overdub switch to
stop overdubbing.

>  > - support for VST plugins to modify the input to the
> looper and the  > total mix output
>
> Having the looper host plugins is a powerful concept, but I
> would suggest you consider having the looper *be* a VST
> plugin instead or in addition.  If you want to get into the
> VST hosting game, then you're going to be competing with the
> likes of Bidule, EnergyXT, and Live.  If ease of use is the
> primary goal, then being a limited host is a good thing.  But
> if you want to be flexible, being a VST is better.

I'd rather be a host. There are far too many plugins for a looper plugin to
get any attention in the world. I don't mind competing with Ableton - I
don't really think that we'll have the same audience, because I'll be
cheaper and simpler.

>  > - affordability - I anticipate 3 versions, one at $89 or
> so, one at  > $199 and one at $299.
>
> With all due respect, I think you're going to find that the
> market for a software looper priced over $99 is rather small,
> especially if you're targeting customers for whom "ease of
> use" is a primary concern.

You may be right, although ease of use is not the *primary* concern -
except
in the larger sense of ease of making great-sounding live music and
recordings (ok, maybe I'm splitting hairs). It's very hard to predict what
people will pay for in non-commodity categories (although loopers are maybe
starting to become commodities). Listen, I'd be *thrilled* (and surprised)
to sell 1,500 of these a year at $99 (assuming I spent half the money on
various operating and promotion costs). I could improve it more-or-less
full-time! That, of course, would be far better than selling 100 a year at
$300. I've been thinking - though this is probably crazy (I'm not a great
businessman) - of using one of those "progressive pricing" systems at
first;
you know, it starts out at - who knows? $50? - while it's still very
immature, then at a certain point it starts increasing by, like $25 per
week
or month until volume starts diminishing. That rewards early adopters
nicely, which is an unalloyed virtue. And, I've learned the hard way that
from a business point of view, it can be easier to increase prices than to
reduce them (what do you do for the people who bought your product the
day/week/month/year before the price decrease?).