Re: New loop tool, sort of..stereo

If memory serves (and I am certain there is someone on this list who will
illustrate to me just where memory does not serve), our hearing is not
stereo, but rather binaural.  The diffrence being more than merely
semantic
as binaural does not "limit" things to merely a R/L mix, rather
encompassing, like our own hearing, a full 360o sound field.

The funny thing about sound is that it is not defined by its source, but
rather by its target....hence that old riddle involving a tree which falls
in the forest...

Even a mono sound can be "heard" in stereo (or to be more correct,
"binaurally").

And, I supopose next should come a call out for a "true binaural looper"!

"Stereophonic Sound", as it used to be called, is actually a somewhat
limited, and feeble, attempt to emulate (or even model?) the natural
binaural hearing traits.  Stereo is more a mental state than a physical
state of "hearing".  Even people who have lost hearing in one ear (and
perhaps David Torn and Marcus Miller can attest to this) are still able to
"hear" in stereo.

And, while stereo does create an interesting and enhanced (albeit
artificial) listening field, many people actually still prefer to listen
in
mono where timning, frequency and phase issues are not clouded or masked
by
the stereo image (how do you check your mixes?)

Max