Re: The MRI and Looping: For Ambient & Experimental Music?

I concur.  This past June I had an MRI to try to find out the cause of tinnitus-like effects (white noise at a very high pitch, when combined with other noise completely prevents understanding what the hell people say) and  I'm sure most of us on list would realize that amongst the populace it would be mainly LD list members that could appreciate the noises an MRI makes. :)

On the other hand I would like to get one of those programs that interprets a graphic file and turns it into notes/tones, using the imagery produced by the MRI of my own brain.  Cool, haah?  Haaah?  What?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, 06 December, 2005 23:25 PM
Subject: The MRI and Looping: For Ambient & Experimental Music?

I just had a most exhilarating experience: my first MRI (on my lower back).  This was amazing. I laid down on a sliding table, and they pushed me into a sarcophagus like tube with mere inches around my entire body.  They put large headphones on my head, and then for the next 30 minutes I was eased into a seemingly euphoric and meditative state. What I heard were a series of interesting sounds...from jackhammer-like hammering, to buzzing or vibrating cycles, bizarre sci-fi industrial like sounds, and so on. It was delightful.  The MRI technician said it was a rarity for someone to actually enjoy that procedure.  At one point in time, I was in a half waking/dream state and was awoke by my leg twitching.  I could have stayed in there most of the day. And the amazing thing is that when I asked about the source of the sounds, he said they were not mechanically generated; rather, around my body, encased in metal, was a giant electrical coil surrounded by helium, chilled down to a cool minus 270 degrees.  The sounds were a result of changes they were making in the electrical current and the resulting vibrations to the machine. Unbelievable...not sure how all that produces an image of my back, however.

...anyway, I started thinking, I would love to have that 30 minutes captured on a digital recorder so that I could use it for looping or as an ambient backdrop to my more experimental looping.

Are there any MRI technicians on the list?

Kris

Krispen Hartung
Improvisational Looping Guitarist
http://www.krispenhartung.com