Re: Real-time category

On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:37 AM, S V G wrote:

> Are you a Musician?

i think some of these arguments are a bit bass-ackwards.
having been doing real-time looping since the early 70's
using real tape loops and torturing reel-to-reel recorders
almost anything today that loops is a quantum leap forward
to me. as a video/sound artist i look for the right tool for the job.
my work doesn't necessitate sync-locked looping, i use
both hard & software loopers with delight, and incorporate
their advantages and flaws into each piece that i do. every
piece of gear is inspirational, and new paradigms lead me
into new directions. the beauty of the current state of affairs
is choice. there is such a plethora of options that no one
can reasonably say that the bases aren't covered. being a
big fan of max/msp/jitter i spend loads of time tinkering with
my patches, customizing them to my particular needs, leaving
out the stuff that i don't need. i've been having a lot of fun with
a video looper i built - light years away from the collection of
mic stands, revox machines and tape i used to use (and still
do on occasion, though i love the "tape echo" setting on my dl4.)
these are the days.
cheers
bruce

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Douglas Adams