From: "Per Boysen" <per@boysen.se>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: On the progress of compiling a laptop-based (looping) setup

On 12 jan 2006, at 17.48, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:
> (Warning: below is a lengthy description 8< 8< 8< 8< 8< .....
Thanks for posting that massive thing. Interesting reading. I've read
through it on the run, saving it for future detailed reading.

On 12 jan 2006, at 18.35, phaslem@wightman.ca wrote:
> thanks for the detailed account, I'm also considering moving to a  more
> laptop
> oriented setup over the next year and am very interested in hearing  the
> details
> of how others that have gone this route do their setup.

I'm going for simplicity and playability to make the most of a live
impro situation. Too many options tends to limit my musical
imagination. So I only bring a Centrino lappy, Fireworx box, physical
instruments, small MIDI mixer and my FCB1010. That's it. My rig looks
like this:
http://www.looproom.com/mob.JPG
and sounds like this:
http://www.looproom.com/audio/mobjam1.mp3

No VST plug-ins. Only the mic input through the fireworX going
straight into Möbius standalone version. Audio interface may be a RME
Multiface or an Echo Indigo i/o. A cheap USB MIDI interface (two
cables: IN and OUT). On sunday I'll do my second gig with this
minimal set-up and I'll bring a flute and a tenor sax with the gear
mentioned above. If I want to get dirty with gear lugging I may bring
a guitar as well, but I'm rapidly becoming too lazy for playing that
thing ;-)

On 12 jan 2006, at 18.39, monk wrote:
>  but how does one get around the latency?

---> Input latency affecting direct signal
Do not play THROUGH software. Clone your instrument signal at the
audio interface input and send one signal directly to the PA (no
latency) while the other clone goes into the software for looping and
processing. Only use "wet" signal in the software.

---> Internal software latency (AD/DA conversion, digital processing)
Use software that compensates for this.

per