Re: best distortion plug

Okay, three quick things...

First:

At 9:30 PM -0800 1/21/06, 3nki wrote:

>(more of a filter): http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1676.html

I've been playing around with Minion for a few weeks now, and this
thing is a blast!  Just the thing for turning an audio feed into a
blurbling, gorgling mass of fun.  I have a hard time believing it's
free, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Second: No matter what kind of distortion plug you finally settle on,
go over to...

        http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm

...and download the AU bundle from MDA.  What you're after is an
unassuming little widget named Combo.  This is a no nonsense speaker
simulator, and it sounds pretty darn good.  You won't get a whole lot
of options, but this will add a whole new dimension to any other
distortion plug that you happen to be using.  It does have some
distortion settings if you want to use them (I usually turn that off
entirely and just make use of the speaker sims) and the CPU hit is
negligible.

Finally, somebody mentioned putting a Pod in line with your signal.
If you're going to consider hardware, take a good look at the Yamaha
Magicstomp pedal.  It includes the Yamaha DG-Stomp amp sim and
distortion algorithms, which sound wonderful.  And that's not to
mention that you also get a lot of other effects crammed in there as
well -- the UD-Stomp delay algorithms, pitch shift, filters, reverbs,
and a bunch of other effects from the SPX-9000 rack mount unit.
Using outboard will also take some of the burden off your computer,
if that's an issue.

        --m.

--
_______
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike..."