Re: Roland VG8

Hi there,

The VG8 doesn't "track", like say, the GRs from the GR700 onwards. It
applies processing to the sound of your strings picked up by the GK
pickup.  So, if you pick the string nearer the bridge, the tone produced
by the VG8 changes to match, for example. This also means no 20+ms delays
on the bottom string waiting for it to cycle twice to accurately determine
the pitch.

Playing bass patches with the VG8 is quite strange; there are no delays
between picking and sound, but it doesn't quite "feel" right. You can't
really play a guitar like a bass - the lightness of the strings changes
things too much - so I tend to play a short scale bass I've got to remind
my fingers what a bass feels like to play, so that I play bass, not just
downtuned guitar. I suppose it's like trying to cover an absent bass
player by playing your guitar through an octaver/octivider. (Damn, typing
about "feel" of instruments is weird.)

There are some nice bass sounds on the stock VG8EX - a nice clanky
Rickenbacker and a nice fat distorted bass, plus the predictable squelchy
synth basses (most of which have the filter opened or closed depending on
picking strength, which is quite fun to play). There are also lots of good
patches at the VG8 wiki I mentioned in another post (http://vg-8.com/wiki).

Hope that helps,

- Tony