Re: Maybe why Avante-garde looping in US...

With rare exception, hip hop vocal rhythms are all subdivisions of
standard 4/4 phrasing, and while very musically pleasing (to some, myself
included) I would not put them in the same category of rhythmic complexity
as balkan music where the bars constantly change beat length (4/4, 3/
4, 7/8, 5/8, 2/4, 12/8etc.).  I would not consider improvising over a
solid 4/4 beat, where the "one" is rarely in question to be particularly
sophisticated (opinion alert).

Cheers

Joe

>Like or loathe it, hiphop's vocal
> rhythms are often very sophisticated and its popularity is very
> high throughout the youth culture.

Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number.  -Lycos Yellow
Pages