Re:Re: How do YOU loop?

At 16:01 11/02/06, you wrote:
>  this is what i'm curious about with
>everyone here.

Generally I work out new ways of using loops for each piece I do,
although I wouldn't just use a technique for the sake of it.

I like to have an interaction between the live playing, and the looped
playing.

The impression is perhaps that the loops are flowing out of the guitar.
Or reflections of something that came out of the guitar a while ago.

Generally I don't like to hear that many repeats of a loop, although
if it's a bassline or a rhythm I don't mind so much.

Having more than one looplength running is a way to add interest.
The obvious way is to Multiply the length of the loop, starting with
a  rhythmic unit and ovelaying a longer phrase.
Lately I like to take the "multiplied" loop, and replace parts of it
in order to break down the original rhythmic unit which I started with.

The "big problem" with looping is to combine some sort of ABC type
structure with loops that have a number of overdubs. After the A is
built up, it usually sounds like an anticlimax to start a B part from
nothing. There's no looping device available to let you keep the
rhythm from the A part going as you  start to record the B part.
So far I tried to resolve that by fitting the structure of the music
around the capabilities of the gear that I use. It takes a bit of
practice, and a bit of thought, but it's really dramatic to suddenly
bring back a full sounding piece of music that's been waiting in the
looper.

My impression is that very much of the looping I hear is a kind of
AAAAAAAA.... structure, so that the loop becomes a fixed backing to
whatever is being created live.
This is often due to restrictions of the technology, and can still
produce good music.

The use of feedback is worth considering. The standard technique is
to let the layers fade out as new ones are put on, and to change the
feedback rate occasionally in order to create a faster rate of
change, or to freeze the loop and solo over it.
Also interesting is to play with the feedback during the duration of
the loop, this can produce some interesting mutations when new
material is added to the loop.
(e.g. overdub a solid backbeat while dipping the feedback to zero on each
hit)

For me, the best results come from spending a lot of time with a
particular piece of gear, rather than trying to purchase/configure
the ideal setup. This being true of looping devices, FX units and
instruments.

andy butler
www.andybutler.com for mp3 & info