Looper's Essential Listening revisited: the 1980's

Hi Loopers,

Every now and then we discuss ideas for the Looper's Delight Essential
Listening section. It's that time again!

The last time we discussed this was in 2003, and a lot of great
recommendations came out of that discussion. At that time we tried to
focus on the 1990's. I've finally incorporated those listening
recommendations into the latest incarnation of the Essential Listening
Loopography:

http://www.loopers-delight.com/loopography/Records.html

If you haven't been there recently, check it out. I've added a bunch of
new entries based on submissions from many of you.

This time around, I'd like to focus on the 1980's. What were the essential
recordings from the 1980's that every looper ought to listen to? Please
propose your ideas and let's discuss it! Please include a paragraph or two
about why you think that recording is essential for looping.

So, what makes something an essential recording for looping? There are no
hard and fast guidelines.

They might be recordings where new ideas or techniques in looping were
first introduced, or where looping was first heard in a type of music
where it hadn't been used before, or with an instrument where it hadn't
been used before, or recordings/artists that influenced a lot of people to
become interested in looping or expand their abilities as loopers, or
simply a perfect example of looping from a legendary looping artist.

Another thing we learned in 2003 is that proposing yourself as essential
probably won't go over very well. :-)

Also, there were several good recommendations made last time where nobody
supplied a good review paragraph to go with it. I still need somebody to
write a good review about why these albums are essential for looping:
Robert Fripp - Let the Power Fall (1981)
David Torn - Tripping over God (1995)
David Torn - What Means 'Solid', Traveller? (1996)
Andre LaFosse - Normalized (2003)

Please help me out with that if you are familiar with these albums!

You may be interested in reading some of the 2003 discussion on this if
you weren't around for it, it is quite amusing:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/wilma_glimpse/LDarchive?query=essential&Search=Search&restricttofiles=on&filelist=200307&filelist=200306&errors=0&maxfiles=1000&maxlines=10&.cgifields=lineonly&.cgifields=restricttofiles&.cgifields=filelist&.cgifields=partial&.cgifields=case

Ok, discuss!

kim