Re: Steve Reich (was: Looper's Essential Listening revisited: the1980's)

What's so special in that tune is simply the instrumentation.  Steve is
obsessive about timbre, and that's what creates that incredible sound.
Yes,
it's a nice recording, but I think if you find the latest Alan Pierson
recording, you'll find it sounds great.

Regarding Microtunings, the maestro doesn't have any interest in that.
Everything's at 440...

For the record, even the poorly done recordings of reich still, imho have
that special sound.  I might have recorded or even performed it slightly
differently, but all in all, the music is so well written that the
performances and the recordings end up rather similar to each other.

Hope that answers the your questions.  Pleasure.

T.

On 2/17/06 11:37 AM, "Per Boysen" <per@boysen.se> wrote:

> On 14 feb 2006, at 13.41, todd reynolds wrote:
>
>> I've played this piece incessantly since 1990 as a member in his
>> ensemble
>> and am most excited to be able to answer a question about it and
>> Reich.
>> Thanks for the opportunity!  If any other questions, bring em on!
>

> Well, ok then, Todd. Here's a related question: You don't happen to
> know what's so special with his "Music for a Large Ensemble (12/78)?
> I'm curios on what exactly makes this music so beautiful (that record
> is higher on my list compared to Different Trains). I was completely
> floored the first time I heard it and bought the vinyl album
> (released 1980) and later the CD. How about tunings? Does the
> orchestra perform in JI? But don't they have to rebuild marimbas etc
> if so? Or maybe it isn't the tuning... I was just thinking about that
> because I have been listening a lot to Robert Rich lately and somehow
> I hear a lot of Reich in his music and Robert is known for using JI.
>
> Maybe it's just a good recording that makes that record stand out? I
> have a CD of Bach's Brandenburger that sounds awesome and I'm always
> disappointed when hearing other recordings of that classic piece.
>
> Greetings from Sweden
>
> Per Boysen
> www.looproom.com (international)
> www.boysen.se (Swedish)
> --->  iTunes Music Store (digital)
> www.cdbaby.com/perboysen

-----
³Virtue is just repression waiting to go bad² - Trevor Exter

³Classical music is related to the past more than it is related to the
creative part of sound² - Ornette Coleman
------
Todd Reynolds
42-09 47th Ave 1C
Sunnyside, NY  11104