Re: OFF TOPIC: 2-prong outlets

>At 2:55 PM -0800 2/17/06, Zoe Keating wrote:
>
>So in other words, it's not the end of the world...yet?

Bill and Kevin are right on with their advice, and you should be good
with implementing those solutions.

If you continue to run into problems, I've seen some tutorials out on
the Net on how to improvise your own grounding in these sort of
situations (i.e. using the building's plumbing, or something else
structural and conductive).  They're frequently geared toward houses
wired with only two prong wiring, but many of the same tips apply for
apartments too.

One other thing I've always found that helps me is to use power
conditioners and multi-outlet boxes to sum my power down to a single
outlet.  I've found that this is the surest way to eliminate ground
loops, since all power is coming from a single source.  I've got one
of the mid-range Furman PDU's (with the power draw LED meter) that I
try to use as the first in the chain run into the wall.  That way, I
can see exactly how much average power my whole system is pulling,
and I'll know when I'm overtaxing the system.  Hasn't happened yet,
and I've had a whole recording studio run off a single wall plug.
Although I've probably been lucky in that regard.

(CAVEAT: that last bit is definitely YMMV and all standard
disclaimers apply.  You're probably safe with the typical small
rack/recording setup.  Bigger than that, and you should certainly
know what kind of draw you're putting on the system.  Otherwise,
you're going to start tripping breakers left-&-right.)

        --m.

--
_______
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike..."