Re: Low Power Radio Stations [was: PAYOLA]

Kevin wrote:

> Why do payola when in the USA you can have your very own noncommercial
> educational broadcasting radio station with a range of about 3.5 miles?

The problem with this is that the FCC is slow at approving licenses,
regulations cause transmitter, antenna, and engineering costs much more
expensive than payola, and, in the northeast at any rate, there is
little bandwidth left.  Even a 5 watt station will cause interference to
other, pre-existing stations using the frequency you think is clear in
your vicinity.  This is not a problem as you get into the midwest,
especially away from large metropolitan areas.

> A cheaper and easier route is simply to get a friendly ear at your
> local campus radio station.  Your best market is probably college
> students anyway.

Bingo!

Cheers,

Bill - who has two shows on WMUH - Muhlenberg College's radio station.
I have one show at WDIY, but it is a stand-alone community public radio
station that isn't affiliated with any other institution.