Re: what a loop has to say

I lied.

> When you say 'use gear to compensate', that's where you lose me.

I'll provide a simple illustration. As you guitar players know, playing a
clean and articulate arpeggio in 8th or 16th notes takes some time to
"master". If you can't do it, it's just as easy to program your processor
arpeggiate a single note you play, and do so in a particular key.  Some
may
say that's just using a processor like an instrument.  That's a nice
blanket
statement that can mean a million things. I call it a cop out, BUT only
relative to intent. If I intend an desire to play somehting, but can't do
it
because I need  few more years of practice to do it...so I resort to the
gear, I am compensasting for my lack of technical ability. If I can play
something, but choose to use the gear to do it for me to allow me to focus
on something else artistically, I think that is a different situation.  It
don't think it is compensating for lack of skill, but making a consious
choice to focus skill elsewhere. I know this will not go over will with
some
folks, especially if they are using gear to compensate for skills, but are
not comfortable admitting this. I'll fully admit here, I can't play
fingersyle jazz like Joe Pass, playing both bass lines and melody. I am
certain I could if I  focused on just that for a year or so, but I can't
right now. But I can use my looping gear to produce similar output. Am I
compensating for lack of skill? Yes. I believe so, and I'll fully admit
this...if I could do otherwise, I'd do it, as part of being evolving as a
musician.

> I do agree that if you remove all gear from the equation, and sit 2
>peopel
> down head to head on acoustic guitars, you will be able to better tell
>who
> is the technically superior guitar player- but IMO, this has *zero* to do
> with who is the superior musician.  : )

That's a good point. How fast you can play, how many chords and scales you
know, for instance, may have nothing to do with artistic merit as a
musician. Because remember, not everyone can be a driftwood artist. It
takes
a special person with incredible artistic vision to identify the
appropriate
piece of driftwood on the beach and claim it as art.  That transcends
technical ability. :)

Kris

Kris