Re: Best Cheap Guitar Synth

Totally agree on the x911. Definately one of my favorites effects. It it
glitchy to say the least, but it makes some great sounds. Aside
from the "traditional" monosynth swells and filter sweeps, one
of my favorite uses is to set the tracking sensisivity to "off"
and just let it glitch like mad. Hit a chord and let it feedback
and it will burble and bubble madly for minutes. Great fun.

Also be aware the x911 patch on the FM-4 doesn't even come close to the
real thing. Though the FM-4 has some nice sounds itself.

The x911 can be a bit pricey to pick up though, $300-$400 dollars seems
typical.

Other choices:
eh micro synth: pretty cool, but perhaps a bit pricey for what it does
boss vf-1: has some "synth patches" that aren't too bad, but far from
            the total analog freakout of the x911
old 90's korg bass multieffects: I forget the model numbers, but there
            were a couple of models of korg multieffect pedals in the
           early 90's that had passable "synth bass" effects. (A4 and A5
           models are what I'm thinking of I belive)

Adrian