Re: Audio Interface for Notebook Users

At 9:25 PM -0500 3/23/06, Brian Good wrote:

>I was just helping a friend with a similar purchase, and we stumbled
>across a couple new interfaces from Alesis.  Apparently only the
>smaller of the two is shipping right now.  I know absolutely nothing
>about their sound, reliability, or anything else, but they do look
>like they offer a fair bit of functionality for the price.  The
>smaller one looks like it only has two line-out channels, which
>makes it not so looper-friendly, but the larger one has 8.

It may be a non-issue (since these are Firewire, and a different
basic architecture) but I've got a two-channel audio interface built
into my Alesis Photon X25 USB MIDI controller.  I've stopped even
attempting to use it.  It has a tendency to randomly blast huge noise
bursts after some unspecified period.  This is especially fun with
headphones on (like I need any extra help going deaf).  It won't stop
until you reboot the computer.

I didn't really care all that much (once my ears stopped ringing).
Frankly, I bought the darn thing primarily for its Axyz controller.
Anything additional is pretty much cake, so I just wrote off that
functionality.

As I said, it might not apply to this series.  However, I'm somewhat
leery of the Alesis audio interfaces now, at least in terms of
quality control.

        --m.

--
_______
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike..."