Re: power is nothing without control (was Re: Filter-Looper Swapping)

Yup, I agree, it is a bummer about the control protocol....there has
got to be a way to get around that to route midi to CueMix or totalmix
somehow, I just haven't tried, maybe that will be a weekend
project....or summer project....
best,

Jeff

Jeff Kaiser
http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com
pfMENTUM.com • AngryVegan.com

On Mar 28, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Luca Formentini wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> I am absolutely in tune with you and I'm sorry if I've been unclear.
> I was referring to the poor facts I am discovering during the last
> days, seeing how many sw/hw producers are softly sitting on really
> cheap solutions ( like using the mackie control protocol) instead of
> uptodate open midi structures.
> max/MSP is a great sw and will be the first I will try to install (
> the others on the list are audiomulch and reaktor) on my sw looping
> setup but I was referring to the converter's native sw mixer (see
> Rme's totalmix and Motu's one).
> If they just tried to make one step more we would have wonderful power
> available in many audio cards, residing in their internal sw.
> I get crazy when m.i. producers stop their development just one step
> before the available potential.
> Thanks again for your kind care,
> best,
> Luca
>
> Jeff Kaiser wrote:
>
>> hi luca,
>>
>> I don't want to be redundant with our private emails: but I thought
>> it worth repeating for the list.....This is one of the reasons I went
>> with Max/MSP....big time flexibility of routing. Inside the max/MSP
>> environment you can freely route/reroute audio paths/controller paths
>> all over the place, making it perfect for hybrid rigs of laptop and
>> other hardware, or pure software. And so many of the guys onboard
>> Cycling 74 (I think all of them) are musicians....at least the ones I
>> know personally: Andrew Pask, Gregory Taylor, Ben Nevile.
>> best regards,
>> Jeff
>>

>> Jeff Kaiser
>> http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com
>> pfMENTUM.com • AngryVegan.com
>>
>> On Mar 28, 2006, at 11:40 AM, Luca Formentini wrote:
>>
>>> even if I am really surprised by music industry underconsideration
>>> conceirning control capabilities, I have been analyzing audio
>>> converters' internal audio routing/splitting/mixing capabilities for
>>> 2 years now.
>>> I use switchblades since many years but, given the growing
>>> availability of digital connections on processing hw and the shift
>>> from just hardware to mixed setups composed by hw and sw, I think
>>> that audio interfaces offer a convenient solution to do this kind of
>>> complex audio spaghetti.
>>> The problem resides in the midi implementation offered by their
>>> manufacturers. None of them ( Rme said that officially and Motu by
>>> the mouth of their italian importer) care about making this objects
>>> flexible hearts for evoluted signal routing.
>>> The most stupid thing is that they all have what they need, it's
>>> just a matter of control so, like a famous italian commercial says
>>> "power is nothing without control".
>>> It's a shame, once again it looks like there are no musicians in the
>>> manifacturers' teams.
>>> best,
>>> luca