Re: Laptops and Latency...

On 9 maj 2006, at 02.32, Steve Lawson wrote:

> The lovely Jeff said about working with MAX/MSP on a laptop -
> >>still loving it, and latency not bothering me at all.
> Particularly since leaving the m-audio interface behind.....<<
>
> one of the major differences between your music and mine is that
> your sound source is acoustic - so your relationship with latency
> is going to be very different in that you're already dealing with
> two separate sounds - the acoustic one and the processed one. A
> 7-10 millisecond latency on that is going to be pretty hard to pick
> up, I'd have thought...
>
> For me as a bassist, especially when playing percussively, I find
> the disconnect that I feel when presented with that kind of latency
> is just nasty. I could deal with it if I was using the direct
> monitoring thing through the soundcard, but that would then mean
> that I'd need an external processor as well, and would defeat the
> point of using a laptop. :o)

I agree with Steve here that latency is a universal no-no. I can deal
with latency if I'm playing with a drummer on a big stage, but only
if I have the drums are taken out of the stage monitoring system OR
turned up so loud that I don't hear the drums acoustically. That kind
of musical latency I can adjust to because it is the same all the
time. But I can not adapt to the latency of computer software
monitoring.

My way of dealing with this when using a laptop for looping is
simple: I never play my instrument through the laptop. I bypass it
and play directly out through the PA, while splitting the signal and
sending one part into the software looper. With Mobius this is easy
because you can turn off the "audio through-put", so the only sound
that is coming out of the laptop is what I have looped - and Mobius
does correct the loops for the latency so it will loop back exactly
as I played it.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)