Re: MIDI sync survey: is it important to you?

On 11 maj 2006, at 17.47, S V G wrote:

> How many
> different ways do YOU find MIDI sync useful?

There are different kinds of MIDI sync. The one I like to use for
live looping is MIDI Clock. MTC (Midi Time Code) is too "advanced"
for my taste, since I like to chop stuff up on-the-fly and not depend
on where the downbeat used to be some moments earlier. I don't always
run loops synced, but I like to have the option at hand. I really
like to play in a free flowing meter and to bring it all in and out
of a steady beat.  MIDI Clock provides the underlying grid that makes
it possible to morph between chaos and rhythm. This also applies for
jamming with other musicians. But the looping style all depends on
the function of the EDP and Mobius to immediately redefine the tempo
by chopping a loop after the tempo you play in - instead of having to
adapt your playing to a tempo.

During the last years I have constantly minimized my looping rig and
now it's only an external TC Electronics FireworX effect processor
and a laptop running the eight track Mobius looper. Mobius does
generate a MIDI Clock signal for the tempo of my first created loop
(like the EDP also does). The sync signal is fed into the FireworX so
I can use dynamic effects that relates to the tempo I'm playing in.
This does not mean that "effect's is stuttering in a static way",
since I have taken care to program expression pedals to "sweep" the
tempo relation (effect vs main tempo, manipulating the tempo relation
coefficient while busy playing). The idea is to extend the music
instrument with an effect system that can create poly rhythmic
movement so the musician can play two lines in one go: the source
line and the effect line. Just like the piano player concept, where
you do two pars simultaneously; one line with each hand. But here I
use the MIDI expression pedal for the complementary part. This would
not work without MIDI Clock.

On the next level this mangled sound goes into the looper and well
inside Mobius I have many scripts (assigned to pedal buttons) that do
similar stuff to either the live input signal, the recorded loop or
both in combination.

Another use for MIDI Clock is to synchronize different software
applications. One example is when looping in Augustus Loop using
Ableton Live as the host application (the looper opened as an AU plug-
in). Then I may want to set the tempo from my playing (as opposed to
playing to the tempo) and the way to do this is to let Augustus Loop
generate a MIDI Clock signal, according to the tempo indicated by the
loop length, and have the host application sync to this MIDI Clock
signal (done all inside OS X). The same goes for running Mobius as a
VST plug-in and having it follow the tempo you play in (then you have
to use MIDI Yoke, since Windows XP doesn't support system MIDI
streaming).

When using an EDP to set the tempo for other loopers, MIDI Clock is
also essential. As you see MIDI Clock is the technology that makes it
possible to free your playing from rigid tempo definitions and still
keep the option to create a tempo grid from your playing. I do not
understand the argument that "sync calls for pre-recorded stuff".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)