Re: BOSS RC-50 impressions

--- Nathan Stueve <nathanstueve@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i wasn't trying to dis on laptop performers either
> (i myself am one), but it's hard to deny that
performances carried out soley by mouse click are not
> very exciting visually (unless you get some video
> projections involved!).

...and even sometimes with.  My rule of thumb is, if I
think you might be checking your email while playing a
cd of your music, I'm out of there.

> so far as the "fade" feature, it appears that a
> linear fade lasting about 21
> seconds is the maximum possibility, regardless of
> tempo.

Hm.  Hard to imagine what that would feel like in a
performance but it seems kind of short...

> however by connecting a volume style foot pedal
> controller you can regulate
> the volume of individual phrases as you see fit. or
> you could assign phrase
> volume to a midi cc and automate it through
> software. not perfect
> replacements for real feedback control by any means,
> but perhaps workable.

I guess doing the midi cc might be a decent work
around, but I find that I like to be in control of
that in a way that having it part of a sequence isn't.
 Per did mention that Numerology has the ability to do
presets... I can't help but thinking that one of the
cool things about the RC-50 is it's portability.  Grab
it and my Vox Tonelab and a drum machine and I've got
a nice looping rig that fits in a dufflebag, is pretty
powerful and sets up in 15 minutes... and won't crash.

> maybe they'll incorporate feedback control in future
> editions of the rc-50,

Yeah, that would be sweet but I wouldn't hold my
breath for that.  I'm no programmer but it seems like
doing sync and feedback is very hard.  Even the EDP
looses it's sync when in overdub with a feedback of
<100, right?  I'm not sure about the looperlative,
seems good so far aside from the stop /play issues.  I
think the only looper that really locks on, no matter
what, is the Repeater.  Anyway, I think there's a
better chance that we might be able to petition Boss
to increase the fade time to something more generous
like 100 seconds or more.

> at which point i'll no doubt sell mine on ebay and
> buy a fresh one!

viva la ebay!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Take care,

Mark