Re: Flight cases

> I'm shopping after some good packaging for my instruments. I found a
> "Peli" case with the correct measures, but it seems way too heavy

if you have much of a DIY low budget mind, you could try my favorite
method:

I know this sounds totally silly, but I have had good luck making my own
travel cases.  I use - ready for this? - cardboard!  It really works well!
All you need is a couple of good strong cardboard boxes, some good packing
tape, a bit of hot glue, and a sheet of packaging foam.  The foam I use, I
get from my shipping dept. at work, and is about 2" thick and cuts cleanly
with a steak knife with no mess.

I take apart the cardboard box, carefully measure the equipment, and
re-make
the box 2" larger than the equipment on each side.  Cut up the foam and
glue
it together to make the padding inside the box.  You can get a snug fit
pretty easily.

When you buy new gear (FCB1010) keep the original packaging!  it can often
make a really good travel case with only a little work, because it was
designed to be shipped all over the world and literally dropped off a ten
foot high shelf (shipping standards for packaging specify something like
this).

I've come up with two good ways to make the box closure.   One some of my
gear I tape/glue ribbon on the bottom of the box, which I can use to tie
the
top flaps closed with a bow.  I recently discovered a better way though:
If
you take a sheet of cardboard as wide as the box is wide, and "wrap" it
around the box and glue it tightly, it makes a nice sheath which will hold
the top flaps closed.  Just slide the box out of the sheath and then it
can
be opened.  If you do it tightly, there is no chance of the box coming out
inadvertently.

Use good strong packing tape to finish all the exposed edges of cardboard
flaps, as well as all seams on the bottom and corners of the box.   You'll
end up with quite a useable travel case for your gear.

Jon