Play/Configure

--- Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:

> The real trip is to stay with, and grow with, that
> instrument until it becomes seamlessly creative.

While this type of featureism is easier with software,
it's not totally absent in the world of hardware too,
especially with some of the more complicated boxes
like the EDP.  Any time you're put in a system with a
large amount of possibilities it's easy to be lulled
by the dazzeling array of features available to
today's modern musician.

I tend to notice I go through cycles of
play/configure. I've been thinking about this a lot
lately as I've been in a deep configure mode.  I know
why though.  I have this "feature set" in my head that
I can't seem to make happen in reality... well not
without 6 EDPs which I can't afford (or fit in my
rack).  I've become obsessed with it and can't seem to
let go.

So how does one ignore the bee in one's bonnet?  I bet
a good answer to that is unsubscribe from this list.
I love this list, but it's a constant "Oh look at this
cool thing" in your ear. A lot of it's easy to ignore,
but when you've got a craving for a specific thing and
someone keeps wafting the scent of it towards you via
TCP/IP it's very hard to ignore.

In any case, I'm back with my trusty Repeater.
Imperfect, but it still comes far closer to what works
for me than anything else in this topsy turvy world.
Time to make some loops...

Mark