RE: Mac v.s Pc

Title: RE: Mac v.s Pc

here's another 2c worth: I have a macbook pro, which is an intel-powered dual-core 1.8Ghz laptop. it has 2 Gb of ram.
the whole thing cost almost twice as much as the nearest PC equivalent BUT it is running parallels workstation virtual machine, which means that I have "enormous predatory feline" (I forget which one) & w2k running on the box simultaneously. no rebooting.

the only thing I have to do to make this work is the occasional bit of device-sharing futzery.
for instance, the pc bit isn't allowed to directly access any of the drives unless they are "handed over" from one o/s to the other. the pc bit uses a soft-partition on the main hard drive, & it occupies a maximum of half the ram while the vm is running.

that said, I have vegas & corel running quite happily on it. I aim to try some more apps in due course. vegas has captured from a fire-wire connected dv deck, & has recorded through the mac's optical audio input.

the best part, though, for those of us that can never leave anything alone, is that different "builds" of the "guest o/s" can be saved. all of them have their dealings with the host hardware abstracted by some software intermediary, so there's no dicking around with registry entries.

basically, any hardware that I attach to the mac that the host o/s can deal with, the guest o/s is ok with too.

I like this arrangement a lot. the only problem I have now is that I keep clicking in the wrong corner to shut stuff. :-)

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe