Re: Software vs Hardware, Laptop vs Oldskool

I'm bring in a quote from another thread (mac vs pc)
but I think it makes sense here:

> now. I think I would go the much cheaper white
> MacBook if I should
> buy a laptop today. But my ZEPTO (who the hell comes
> up with all
> these ugly pc brand names???) will hopefully still
> be going strong
> with Windows XP for another three to four years.

That hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm not a diehard
vinage gear fan, but I think about my Repeater (out
since 2001) and a lot of my other gear I've had much
longer.  Still faithfully going.  My friend Andy's
still getting plenty of mileage out of his 1994
Lexicon JamMan.  Who of us here is using a computer
that's more than 5 or 6 years old to do music?  Has
anyone sold a computer for what they paid for it?
More than they paid for it?

A clear win for hardware.  Often useful for decades,
often retains or increases in value over the years.
No one's going to be selling a vintage Macbook or
Thinkpad on Ebay ten years from now because it's
running that warm sounding Mobius v1 looper.

All said, there's no doubt in my mind that we're just
seeing the infancy of virtual instruments and effects
at this point and they will surely overtake our
dedicated hardware just as the ProTools system has
killed the multitrack tape deck.

Do you here that, Mr. Anderson? It's the sound of
inevitability. It is the sound of your death.

Mr. Smith