Re: laptop audio I/O hardware

Very cool! Thanks for that technical discussion, I love learning about
that. And I certainly can't argue technical details, I don't know
enough about them. But I know more now.

But I can honestly state my experience, which is, and remains:

On the same system, same settings, same software: latency is different
between the m-audio I used and the motu.

It could very well be the way the drivers are written, but whatever the
reason. It was noticeable in my system.

> So, this was a long winded way of saying that it is difficult to
> make generalizations like "the MOTU has lower latency than the
> M-Audio".

But it is ok to make generalizations that firewire devices are the
same, in terms of latency? Technically, after your report, yes. Based
on my experience, no. But I wasn't trying to make a generalization
about all fw devices, I was answering a question using a comparison
between devices based purely on my experience, and will try to be more
clear in the future that it is purely my opinion/experience. So also,
my apologies if someone felt maligned by my language if I seemed to be
slamming someone's beloved device.

Anyway, this is a long winded way of saying I may be technically
incorrect, but I stand by my experience.....but from now on I will say,
"I couldn't tune the latency low enough...."

And, really, thanks Jeff, for all that great information. It helps to
discuss from a more technical standpoint.

best regards,

Jeff

Jeff Kaiser
http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com