Re: pedal pushers

On 12 jun 2006, at 04.30, mark sottilaro wrote:

> Boy howdy!  I don't know why, but there's nothing I
> hate more than closing a loop.  Something about having
> to focus on that event drives me crazy.  I loved the
> JamMan's ability to just choose the amount of beats
> you wanted for a loop and let it go....

I don't understand exactly what you mean here... Don't you have to
specify the tempo first, or sync the jamman to a master clock? I
remember an old post by you where you said you like to use a groove
box as the master clock, so I guess you want to run the looper synced?

> I'm hoping
> Mobius will make that possible for me again.

I would guess you will find some way to do that in Mobius, because it
offers many ways to define the loop length before actually playing
some noise into a loop. But all these techniques relies on deciding
on a tempo first.

One way can be to set the quantization to "8ths per cycle = 1". I
usually like having it set to 16 or 128 (or not quantized at all) but
for some actions, like changing loop I prefer the "1" setting, so I
can push the "Next Loop" button at any moment within the span of the
last bar before I plan to go into the next loop. To be able to use
different quantizing resolutions for different actions I wrote a
script that first changes the quantize setting, then moves to the
Next Loop and changes back to whatever quantize setting you where
playing in before the pedal press. Scripts you write appear in Mobius
among the pre-defined commands so you can simply assign any MIDI
pedal/button to trigger the script.

Another way to avoid having to close the loop is to set up Mobius to
copy the loop length, either when going into a new loop on the same
track or when moving from a loop on one track into a new track. In
both cases an empty loop will be auto-created (on the same track or
the new track) and it will be of the same length as the first loop.

A third way is to use the Instant Multiply function. I like that for
setting up drum loops by vocal beatboxing on one track. Start out
with a simple one bar beat. Hit "next loop" (with "Copy Sound"
activated) and while the same audio is now playing back in this new
loop you hit Instant Multiply to make it three or four times longer,
just in time so you can punch in a fill at the last quarter note or
so. With the latest Mobius version these settings (that used to be
global) can be defined as track unique settings. So if you want, you
can have your own set-up with tracks behaving a little differently,
thus allowing you to use specific looping techniques on certain
tracks. Lots of fun to be had with that :-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)