Re: beatsync filters

On 19 jun 2006, at 19.41, mark sottilaro wrote:

>> I am looking for beatsyncing filter/sweaps-effects
>> for my guitar-rig.
>>   Does anyone have experience with the kaoss pad,
>> roger mayer voodoo, or adrennalinn ? Or any other
>> good filters ?

I just posted about my Akai MFC42. But many kinds of effect
processors can do that type of beat sync filtering (I just love the
sound of the Akai's analog hardware). I like to use the Akai with the
EDP, typically playing into the EDP and having the loops output going
into the Akai.

I have also been successful in programming a bunch of similar beat
sync filter patches in my tc electronics FireworX. I was amazed to
find out how good the digital filtering of the FireworX can sound if
you tweak it a little. I typically store these FireworX patches with
a cool counter-rhythm relation between the tempo (MIDI clock pulse)
and the LFO speed that controls the filter sweeps. Then I assign a
MIDI expression pedal - or MIDI joystick - to a divisor type
parameter that handles the relation between the global tempo and the
filter sweep speed. That makes it possible to do those "helicopter
take-offs" on the FireworX, just as on the Akai.

In theory this would be possible in software on a laptop as well, but
if you go that route you will have to take other factors into careful
consideration; CPU-efficiency, system stability, latency etc

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)