Re: software or hardware???

Hey Jenny, I'm pretty sure there is no hardware
solution that gives you multiple "undos" but the
Looperlative gives you 8 discrete stereo tracks so you
could record on one and NOT overdub on it, but start
another and begin recording on that track, and so on.
Each track will sync to an external clock and doesn't
have to be the same length.  By selecting a track it's
volume can be controlled as well so you could turn
down each track you no longer want to hear.  Word on
the street is that they'll one day be a way to do "or"
loops instead of "and" loops with it but currently
that  only works if not synced to a MIDI clock.  Steve
Lawson is the king of such things and you can find
more on the Looperlative forum site.

I don't know if you care about feedback control with
overdub, but what you're explaining works really,
really well using the POLAR module that comes with
MOTU's Digital Performer.  Mac only, but a very cool
and flexible software looper that may fit your needs.

Also, check out (as I am) Mobius.  I've never used it
but I guess there's a function that will let you write
a loop to your harddrive at any point to later be used
in a DAW.

Mark