Re: Vedr. Re: reverb just on the delays

On 24 jul 2006, at 07.10, rune fagereng wrote:

> Regarding using Ableton as a mixer for your EDP.
> Can you tell more about your gear and how you do this and maybe
> also the strong and weak sides of doing it like this?

I have a sound card with many inputs and outputs (RME Multiface). One
strong side of Live's mixer is that it's very easy and fast to work
with. I mean; all inputs and outputs are directly accessible on each
track. Not only the analog and digital ins and outs of the sound
card, you also get MIDI in and out and the option to set any other
track as one track's output. This makes it easy to combine EDP and
other hardware with software loopers of all kind. If you run Live on
a Mac you may also incorporate the MIDI pipes built into the computer
system which is handy for sending control MIDI data between plugins,
tracks and external gear (in XP you can achieve about the same with
the MIDI Yoke hack).

Other strong sides is all the built-in effect plug-ins that comes
with Live (I especially adore that Freeze Reverb) but I also find it
cool to use Live's "Pan Plug" for beat synced tremolo with the option
to sweep the tempo divider for those "copter landing/take-off" effects.

A bit more advanced stuff you can do with Live is to create loops of
MIDI (or "Clip Envelopes", see Live's manual) that you can launch to
send sequences of commands to your loopers (to the EDP via the
physical MIDI output port). If you record loops in Live, as Live
Clips (either audio or MIDI loops) you may also do cool things with
the random launching function (see Live's manual on "Follow Action").
Clips (loops) on the same track in Live can also be set to "legato
mode" which means that if one loop is playing at 2 bars, on 4th and
one 16th when you jump to another loop (for playback on that track)
this new loop will take over and begin playing back also at "2 bars,
on 4th and one 16th".

Weak sides of using Live as the mixer for EDP (and other hardware
audio devices) is that any live input (real-time audio stream) is
being delayed by the process when the computer had to digitize it
(the AD conversion - analog to digital). This is what's being called
"latency" and is not a problem specific to Live but to all setups
that combine external real-time processes with computer applications.
I did not perceive it as a problem though when doing slow and ambient
music, although I used the laptop with Live as the routing patch bay
and mixer for both the EDP, analog filter bank (beat synced by MIDI
Clock) and outboard reverb. I could mix these three audio sources and
also send "effect aux send" to them without disturbing phasing errors
or (worse) musical timing errors. Live has a built in latency
compensation, but this can only work on tracks that play back already
recorded material, because Live needs to "pre view" to do the time
shifting. And there is no way to preview external real-time input.
(Regarding AD/DA related latency I must say that I enjoy looping in
Mobius as a standalone application because it's super tight and rock
solid. Instead of MIDI loops in Live I'm now using special scripts
that kind of do the same things - but you do hear the difference in
musical accuracy... timing-wise).

Another weak side with Live is that it's not very stable when used as
the MIDI Clock sync slave. Especially with the EDP as the master,
because every time you go HalfSpeed the tempo goes down by 50
percent. I really like to use that musically but with Live it's not
possible (as it is when running a Repeater synced to the EDP). But
this is not a problem as long as you use Live as the tempo master;
you can assign a pedal to Tap Tempo in Live and this is the way I've
been doing it (although I tend to feel about it as "a workaround").
Just tap four kicks on the tempo pedal and kick the fifth on the
Looper Record button will work.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)