Adrian Belew - Phila review.

I saw Adrian Belew on his current tour last night at their Phila PA
gig. He is playing with a new trio made up of two teenagers (Eric and
Julie Slick) who are graduates of the School or Rock all Stars founded
here in Phila (a fantastic gig to see it their own right!). In a way this
was sort of a homecoming for the band and it showed.

They started right out loudly and unapolegetically rocking with "Writing
on the Wall". I was actually surprised at how raw they were in intensity.
They were *really* having fun up there. The set was quite solid with solo
material, King Crimson songs, and lots of jamming in the power trio
format. Both backing players demonstrated chops far beyond their ages not
only holding their own as equals but also playing off each other and
Belew. It was really wonderful seeing all three of them  being
so gracious and challenging at the same time. A true "band" effort.

Toward the middle of the set he did a few solo numbers looping some rhythm
parts or simply "Belewups" as needed. Highlights include "Lone
Rhinoceros" and he even added one very difficult song he hadn't done on
tour so far due to the energy of the audience. When he finished he wrung
his hands and both laughed and gasped as if he was as amazed as the rest
of us he pulled it off. That combination of showmanship and humilty and
incredible talent directly connected and when the band came back out again
they started with a roar going into a simpler arrangement of Big Electric
Cat that still pushed boundries of the trio format.

I put up a page of some of the artsy photos I took (hey, that's what i do
:) ) and a short one minute lofi video I took of him looping a bit. I
think it captures his stage presence very well actually.

http://www.helpwantedproductions.com/foto/belew/belew.htm

Gearwise his setup was condensed quite a bit due to his new Parker Fly
signature guitar. He is still using multiple Johnson and Line6 amps and a
few stompboxes (I noticed a Digitech whammy and Boomerang looper) but most
of his sounds and setups are recalled via a switch board and the internal
electronics in his guitar. It sounded a tad digital certainly but his
playing warmed it up plenty. After the show he came out and signed
autographs and gladly chatted and hung out with the fans. A number of the
School of rock kids were there as well as the Slick's family which really
made the whole event feel quite personal and just plain fun.

If you are a fan and haven't seen this tour I highly reccomend doing
so. It is very different than any other show I have seen him play. Tight
but still leaving room to stretch out. There is a generous amount of both
old and new material and everything sounded remarkably fresh in this new
presentation. He is still talking about doing a live ablum with the trio
format (called side four). I can only hope that happens as I don't think I
have heard *this* side of Belew before.

D_

HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.