Re: Live Looping with a Drum Machine

I think your best bet for the least expensive looper
that will sync to (or send sync to as it seems you're
looking for) is the Lexicon JamMan used.

Don't even think about being able to dial in a bpm and
expect them to stay in sync.  No 2 clocks are perfect
and you will drift after a short while.  Other than
midi sync (which few loopers have) the only other way
is to find a unit that allows you to do a loop restart
and just manually restart the loop when you hear it
start to drift.  I know people have had luck with
that, but sounds like something I'd not want to have
to think about on stage.... or ever.

The Lexicon JamMan does a pretty good job of following
(or being the master).  Don't expect to change the
tempo at all though.  As far as I know the only unit
that does that is the Electrix Repeater and that's up
in the $600 used area.  I think the JamMan is around
$300 to $350 used.  The Echoplex Digital Pro is pretty
much the king of currently produced hardware loopers,
but expect to pay about $800 for one new and not much
less used.  Also, it's mono but has a ton of features.
2 can operate together to work as a single stereo
unit.

On the high end is the Looperlative.  Chock full o'
features and getting more every day due to it's
developer.  $1500 out the door gives you a pretty damn
good looper.  I had one until I realized that for
$1500 I could get a kickass laptop and audio interface
and run Mobius... which is what I did.  If you're not
into using a laptop this is the unit I'd probably
still own.

I'm not sure if i understand what the "push-play-push"
style of live looping is.