VIDEO LOOPING

What a wonderful reply to my letter, Mark.

Thanks so much for all that information.

You know on the eve of receiving my new camera (I found a great price on
the
miniDV CANON ZR 500 that was in my price range)
I just spent a couple of hours tonight making a video with a keyring toy
digital camera that measures 2 1/4" X 1 1/2"  X 1/2"
and cost me all of $12(USD) online.   I discovered tonight that it serves
as
a very primitive webcam and that I can record
in real time into Sony Vegas Video.................so I made a self
portrait
video and some music to accompany it called
'Das Ich'  (the german term used by Freud that has been translated into
the
English word  'Ego')

I can't wait to get my new miniDV.

Also,  I am an official representing artist for Cycling '74 so I have
Jitter
(though I have not used it yet) as well as Max/MSP (and the amazing
Pluggo and Hipno plugin suites---which I am addicted to).

I'll check out your objects when I get a chance.  Thanks for filling us in
on the history as well.

After I am very deep into this next visual looping phase (which feels
obsessive in a good way for me right now)  I'll go back and look
at some of the work of these artists.

Oddly enough, right now,  I don't want to see anything that's been done in
the vein I"m working in because I want to keep a strong
naive and 'beginners' mind'  attitude in my current work.

I actually like stumbling on things and not knowing a lot.   It's a nice
aesthetic adjunct to the depth of knowledge I have about rhythm and music
in my musical life.      I'm not trying to change the
world................just trying to have fun and be as creative as I can
be.

One of the exciting things is that I've started to work with a young man,
Grey David who will be doing his first ever looping gig at
Y2K6 in October.............he has purchased a tiny , fit in the palm of
your hand,  LED projector (which have just come out apparently).

These things are very modest in size and project an image that is about
torso sized from a few feet away so it works very well
with my live shows and I actually showed for the first time at the ZeroONE
Festival in San Jose a couple of weeks ago for the first time.

We are thinking about doing a piece for three of these projectors strapped
to people's bodies (they run on batteries) so that they
project onto the backs of the person walking in front of you.

I want to video loop the Pacific Garden Mall  using battery powered visual
looping devices and battery powered hardware live looping
devices (a DL-4,  a battery powered amplifier, battery powered mixer and
battery powered DSP effects).

Not sure if I could get it together by Y2K6 but I'm going to try.

Take care and thanks for the advice.

yours,  Rick