Re: OT: Ableton Live Question

On 24 aug 2006, at 11.45, raul bonell wrote:

hi there ...

The situation:
I'm trying to loop record some
part in Ableton's but I need different tempos along the
loop timeline that are dictated by an external sequenced phrase.

Is Ableton Live capable of recognize a tempo map
... let's say, extracted from a midi file, and applied to its
"song tempo" label of the master track?  Is there any other way of getting this result?

If your external sequenced phrases dictate the tempo in real-time you can set Live to sync to MIDI Clock. Or, for tighter sync, using ReWire to sync Live to another application that is hosting your "tempo dictating phrases".

I'm afraid I don't know what type of "tempo map" you are referring to? There is a global protocol for that, supported by Protools and some other DAW's, but not Ableton Live (OMF Interchange files—Open Media Framework files used by other DAW applications such as ProTools. It allows multiple audio tracks to be imported, with all positional information retained). You can always trim the global tempo track graphically by hand/mouse in the arrange window (bottom track).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)