Re: laptop-loopers (guitar)

I too have forgone the dedicated hardware world in
favor of Mobius.  So far it's an amazing little system
I have, but unlike Krispen I always run my guitar
through a tube pre (Vox Tonlab SE) and VF-1 before it
hits my laptop.  I just really like the way those two
work together and I'm still a bit nervous about
handing over everything to something that runs on
XP... not sure why, it hasn't crashed on me yet.

The plus side of doing it this way is that if the ol'
laptop dies my sound can continue.  Do apps like IK's
Amplitude or NI's Guitar Rig sound good?  No idea.
I'm just happy with stuff the way I have it so I see
no need to change.  Also, what I'd end up getting to
control an app like that would most likely be about
the same size as the Tonelab SE anyway, so there's
little point in it.

So how does the laptop work for guitar?  I can't
imagine it being any different than for any other
instrument.  It's not for someone who's used to (and
wants) to run a few boutique stomp boxes into a tube
combo amp.  If that's what you seek, invest in a EDP.
However, if you're the type who could care less about
such things and don't mind turning your guitar's
output into a line level that can then be screwed
with, you'll find no better answer than a custom set
up laptop running Mobius and a few choice plug-ins.

...and guess what?  If you get yourself a machine with
enough CPU power and RAM, while it's running Mobius it
can be a Mini Moog, TR-808, Akai Sampler, TC
Electronics G-Force... and stuff that doesn't exist in
the Hardware world.